Friday, September 18, 2009

T Minus... 5




Last night before going to bed I checked the weather and a big cold front was forecasted to blow through in the morning. Rain, wind, cold temps giving way to sun, wind, and cold temps late morning...

Hedrik and I planned accordingly by getting up very early and making sure to get on the water shortly after sun-up. We were both on the same page as we agreed hitting one spot in particular would give us our best chance at a fish. The trick, however, would be finding the vegetation. As soon as we did that, it was off to the races!

Maybe 10 minutes after finding the vegetation and beginning our drift, I feel slack on my line even though the lure was coming back to the boat under constant tension. I didn't think anything of it at the time and just continued reeling figuring my lure was fouled in weeds. Then, I felt weight, but just a little. Then, more! So I reefed back on the rod and set the hook. The fish came to the surface head-shaking at Mach 3. In 35 seconds the fight was over and I was staring at our 25th fish to be affixed with a transmitter. After some minor struggling to get blood and push the "backpacker" through to affix the transmitter, the big male was returned to the water.

Shortly thereafter, the sun broke through and we called it quits! White caps everywhere!

[Note extremely fresh lamprey wounds on upper jaw.]

2 comments:

  1. Nice Toque eh!!!

    LOL

    What length was that beauty??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you didn't say, "Nice tukus, eh!"

    45 with something in his belly. "Get in my belly!"

    ReplyDelete