Thursday, September 30, 2010

Electrofishing results and Lake of the Woods v2.0

This past Monday we hooked up the electrofishing boat and trailered down to the river. It took us slightly less than one hour to shock our first muskie, a little guy just under 30". Though we shocked up several more, only two made it to the boat (another just under 30" and one just over 30"). We had a brute come up alongside the boat, but evidently just outside the electric field. That was a bummer, but my goal was three and we accomplished that. Water was 16.5C, perfect temperature to fill in gaps for our control physiological data.

I was also given an offer I simply couldn't refuse - a return trip to Lake of the Woods. I've always wanted to fish this body of water during the fall and have heard many stories from good friends. The drive alone - through northern Ontario, around the rim of Lake Superior - might be worth the trip. I suspect the colors will be spectacular a little further north of us.

I was strong armed into going on the trip by these two characters.

BUT, I will be bringing my computer with me to get some much needed work done in the car so not all will be fun and games... When I get back it will be time to make the last push with field work for 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Strong armed .... yeah right. Like it would take a lot to get one back to LOTW ;-) Hope it's a great trip - we'll be expecting a full report ... with pics. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete