Saturday, August 15, 2009

Big Figure-8 Fish... T-Minus Nine



With true summer weather upon us (high 80s/low 90s, lots of humidity) we've been trying to beat the heat and the flotillas of pleasure boaters by fishing the early morning bite. The last several fish have come in the morning before noon.

Yesterday we caught a 42.5" on a bucktail around 9AM and saw one other from the same spot (I botched it in the figure-8). So today we returned to the same spot.

At roughly 6:55AM casting over weeds in 5-6' of water, I watch as a big, gold torpedo shoots up and swipes at my bait... but misses. I continued reeling and the fish turned around and followed in. I lost sight of it for a second as I brought the bait across the bow of the boat from right to left. When I made a turn on the left side of the boat, the fish rolled up and continued following. I again lost sight of the fish as I proceeded across the bow from left to right. I was trying to get into position on the right side of the boat to make big, sweeping turns for the figure-8. As I tried moving the bait through a straightaway (still can't see anything), I suddenly couldn't move the bait forward anymore. Recognizing something was "wrong" my instinct was to SET THE HOOK. As I did, 51.5 inches of angry muskie started headshaking at my feet! The fish was in the net in 15 seconds.

She relinquished good blood and makes #21 with a transmitter, and the third 50"+ for the study. Oh, and shortly after releasing her I lost one at least the same size if not larger... You win some, you lose some.

I'd also like to take the time to mention and thank one of the project's sponsors. Okuma has provided us (reduced cost) with a few reels and (at the moment... hopefully more to come) one of their new EVX Musky rods. This big girl was caught using Okuma's new 9'3"H, telescoping rod. I've been more than impressed with the product. Excellent action, not too heavy for such a long rod, and a long butt section make this a great stick! These retail for $120-130 and come with a LIFETIME warranty. Pretty tough to beat!

1 comment:

  1. Those muskies are tricky and will cause excitement while you turn a figure 8!!
    GOOD FISHIN'

    ReplyDelete