Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We've Got a Runner!

I went back today to track the below 52" at the 24 hour mark. All fish were staying in the same area that they were originally caught from. So, I figured this one would be an easy track!

We pulled up to the weedbed that said 52" came from. I turned on the receiver expecting to hear the familar PING, but instead got nothing. Just static. After a 360 degree scan we went on a "hunt".

Let me rewind by saying that the day began fishing a very small spot weedbed/rock point that took about 20 minutes to fish. It's a spot we pass by all the time, but fished it today simply to kill time before tracking the fish at 0900.

So, we proceeded downstream from the catch location and towards the ramp. The further downstream we got, the more concerned I became that we would not hear the fish. Just when I thought it was going to be a lost cause, I heard that sweet lullaby PING! Where were we? 50 yards in front of the spot we began the day at!

The fish made a 2.25km/1.4mi treck downstream in a 24 hour period!

2 comments:

  1. Veeery Interesting! So, does this mean that the fish caught previously just liked to hang out in their spot and this one was a traveller - i.e. the C&R process really doesn't tire them out that badly? .... or does it mean the bigger they are, the faster they recover?? .... or does it mean the bigger and smarter they are, the more they want to get the heck out of the place where something "bad" happened??? .... or was she just passin thru and you simply interrupted the trip???? .... stupid fish ..... stupider fishermen .... I'm SOOO confused :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I don't know to tell the truth. Some fish probably have small summer ranges, others large ones. Individual variation, etc. All I know is she slid shallow and decided to eat a Pacemaker for breakfast! Oh, and she's alive and well as of today when she moved back upstream a bit.

    ReplyDelete