Sunday, November 7, 2010

80 Pounds

I'm not convinced weight calculators are very accurate, but in the absence of a scale they provide a better estimate than simply pulling a number out of thin air. Using the standard weight formula - (Length x Girth x Girth)/800 - the three fish Wally Robbins and I (err... scratch the "I" part) caught yesterday weighed, in total, 80 pounds!

Having learned from some of the best, including "Big" Jim McLaughlin, and putting in hundreds of hours on the water, Wally is quite intimate with the system we fished yesterday. He employs tactics that many of today's fast-paced anglers tend to scoff at or simply ignore. His methods give him the ability to unveil tiny nuances along vast weedlines, making him a much more efficient angler in a system that can often be overwhelming due to its seemingly uniform nature (i.e., very few "fishy" looking areas).

Wally primed me on his approach prior to stepping foot in his Lund, but I would probably consider myself the aforementioned fast-paced angler and had to see it to believe it...

After Wally's first fall fatty, I tried duplicating his tactic, but to no avail. I quickly went back to throwing faster paced lures telling myself, "Hey, one fish doesn't make a pattern."

When I slid the net under Wally's second fall fatty, I decided "OK, I get it now!" And after Wally's third fall fatty (our biggest of the day), I was thoroughly convinced. Although we did not catch any more fish, a trifecta of heavy muskies made for a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment