Monday, July 13, 2009

Severe Storm + Spinnerbaits + Speed Trolling = Fish #9




http://www.ottawacitizen.com/story_print.html?id=1782862&sponsor=

While fishing within eyesight of this incident (minutes before the storm), Ottawa MCI member Hedrik Wachelka and I were able to boat a fish. As we exited a no wake zone Hedrik and I decided to flatline speed troll spinnerbaits (http://www.riveratlures.com) over submergent weeds. My bait hit a patch of weeds and I began pumping the rod to knock the weeds off. Just as I stopped the pumping my rod doubled over. FISH ON! I am a caster 98% of the time and this marks my first fish caught trolling, outside of using a guide. The battle was quick thanks to the short amount of line we had out. Blood was taken, transmitter affixed, and off he went. Fish #9 retreated to the weeds and sat there for the next 2+ hours. We returned yesterday to track it and found it a bit upstream of the catch site, but alive. Pictures to come!

I am happy that we caught a fish, but also glad no one was injured in the lightning strike/house fire. That would have put a damper on the day as we pretty much saw the bolt strike the house (and yes, it was eardrum shattering!).

3 comments:

  1. Frightening Lightning and muskies whatb a great combination!!
    Chuck in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to visit Ottawa during a week in early August and volunteer for the study!
    Chuck in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. You werent kidding when you said your experienced with lightning! Glad to see your getting transmitters out there, and that no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete