Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pepe Still Smells... But Not As Badly

Fished with Chris Purdy (aka Pepe) and Ed Lalonde yesterday. Moderate winds on big water = not much fun... And upper 60 degree weather stinks too! Fishing was slow for a while. Ed took us to a shallow weedy bay (still getting hammered by wind) told us to start fan casting. As we did, the Shalow Mag 'Dawg I was straight cranking back HALTED mid-retrieve. As I struggled to start my stopwatch which was buried under the sleeve of my rain jacket, the fish cart-wheeled out of the water sending three large pieces of the 'Dawg flying. One of those pieces happened to contain all the hooks... Mad that I lost the fish, I was even more mad that the 'Dawg fell apart! With a sprinkle of colorful language, I grabbed a bottle of Mend-It I bought just for such occasions (good foresight, eh?) and went to work. In 20 minutes I was chucking the bait as if it just came out of the package. Good stuff to say the least.

We raised four others, including one that rolled on Ed's jerkbait boatside and one that pushed a massive bulge behind Chris's Super Topraider and struck just out from the boat. No hooks in either fish. Had two other follows on a River Rat spinnerbait and a Big Game twitch bait.

We almost have the skunk out of the boat. Still have to keep scrubbing though :D

2 comments:

  1. Craaaaap! Long tough day and nothing to show for it. As always, good company makes all the difference - third just HAS to be a charm .... or there won't be a fourth time I'm sure !!! Good luck out there Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, 3rd time WILL be a charm. I can feel it. Sooo close (yet so far)!

    ReplyDelete