Saturday, June 19, 2010

CPR: Cardio-pulmonary resucitation, catch-photo-release

I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon and evening with fellow lab mate, Jason Thiem. Jason hails from Australia and has never had the pleasure of fishing for muskie, though is no stranger to "the hunt" (accomplished marine and freshwater angler and hardcore hunter). I wanted to help Jason put another notch on his belt by boating a muskie, and in the process help me gather additional physiological data.

Just before our departure the heavens opened up, and our drive to the ramp took us straight into the storm. When we reached the ramp it was still raining, but didn't last long. We zoomed to our first spot and I clipped a Top Raider on Jason's rod (what better way to catch your first muskie than on topwater?). Shortly after we began casting, and after explaining to Jason to pay attention behind the lure, Jason yells "FISH." The fish boiled under the bait and followed a few more feet before veering off. So close, yet so far.

As we left the spot and headed to our next one I made a sharp left and decided it couldn't hurt to take a few casts in a bay I've previously never seen anything at (though have been told it is good). On my third cast, way out from the boat, my bucktail was stopped cold by a muskie and the battle was underway. This was a particularly good fight as the fish ran under the boat, toward the motor, back toward the trolling motor, caught itself in another dangling line, and almost evaded the net. Almost. After successfully taking blood, the fish was held for a brief picture and released. We saw a few more, but not much else. I'm hoping Jason will join me again in the future so that I can play netman.

Oh, and I also completed a Red Cross CPR certification course (key points: doing something is better than nothing, 30 compressions for every 2 breaths). Not a bad day!

No comments:

Post a Comment