Sunday, June 27, 2010

Muskies Canada "Rockland Rage" Outing

What an excellent weekend! Friday marked the beginning of the Muskies Canada "Rockland Rage" shenanigans with a meet-and-greet complete with burgers, beer, and fries. The socializing was an added bonus and it was great fun listening to fishing stories and fielding interesting questions from the anglers. However, the real fun began Saturday.

With an early start in the morning, my girlfriend and I hauled butt to our first spot. Full moon, breezy morning, and cloud cover and light rain prevailed throughout the day. These conditions brought high hopes for me, but fishing was quite slow. After losing two lures (line snapped) and contending with the added fishing pressure, we had nothing to show by noon. As 1PM rolled around, I decided to work spots closer to the ramp. One location was within eyesight of the ramp, and had great weedbed that has held muskies in the past. Though it was midday, I opted to cast a topwater in and around the vegetation. As my gazed followed the lures path back to the boat, without notice a muskie struck and launched full-body out of the water, turning and landing completely horizontally back into the water. It was a miss. I continued the lure's cadence to no avail. I peppered the area with a few more casts and on one of them, about 20' from the boat, the muskie returned but did not miss. The fight was on and my girlfriend ran for the Big Kahuna net, which was only slightly smaller than her. Following my instructions she carefully lowered the net into the water, waited for me to guide the fish into the net, then lifted with all her strength. The muskie was safely secured! (Good job again, Sarah!) We collected blood and released the muskie.
When all was said and done, I ended the day with my first grand slam: bass, walleye, pike, muskie. I think I was happier for that than actually catching the muskie!

To cap the end of an already great day, Sarah won the grand prize that night at the banquet's raffle - a St. Croix Legend "Lipstick" rod!

No comments:

Post a Comment