Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Data Data Data and a Squirrel?

After some issues on Monday trying to upload data from our remote receivers, we hit the water again today in an effort to collect data that has been gathering since late April. I had to jump in to retrieve the receivers and haul them on-board for uploading, but unlike in early April when the water was barely over 50F, I didn't mind this time as temps were in the mid-70s.

I was quite anxious to get our first receiver hooked up because before we had to abort Monday's mission, I caught a glimpse at the amount of data - a lot - on this particular receiver and was interested to see truly how much was there. When the file opened and we saw that I had more than 19,000 data points I was floored. We continued to upload different receivers and finally ended the day with over 100,000 data points... in less than two months! Looks like I know what I'll be doing ALL of next year (sitting in front of my computer)!

In addition to the crazy amounts of data we uploaded, I also plucked a crazy black squirrel from the water today. Oddly, this little dude/dudette actually swam to me! After picking it up for a few seconds and getting a chance to pose for a picture, the squirrel swam back to shore, scampered up a tree, and bolted up the bank. First swimming squirrel I've ever seen!

Muskie opener is this Saturday. Then, it's game on!

1 comment:

  1. Now there's something just plain squirrely about that story!!!

    Too funny...good thing it wasn't a skunk.

    ReplyDelete