Saturday, June 5, 2010

Opening Day 2010

After watching the Blackhawks take a brutal beating in game 4 of the Stanley Cup final, opening day of muskie season would be a welcome reprieve from Philly's onslaught. It was a fitful 5.5 hours of sleep, but perhaps my mind was only preparing me for the thrills today would bring.

My faithful sidekick, Hedrik Wachelka, and I decided to do a bit of fun fishing (since some of my field equipment is not with me yet). Fishing water we previously had not spent much time on together, Hedrik scored big.

Actually, it was a slowish start. After surveying the area and concluding that yes this appeared to be "money," we began casting... and casting... and casting. Already my arm was screaming "UNCLE" from chucking and winding big lures (or maybe it was because I slept on it wrong), but we persevered. Finally Hedrik had two almost back-to-back follows from different fish. We toyed with another fish in a different spot before returning to the location Hedrik had his follows from. The water was "just right" and the lighting looked good, so I felt it necessary to chirp up and comment about how good the spot looked. Just as Hedrik finished agreeing with me his bucktail was hammered about 40' from the boat. With big, powerful headshakes and a short tussle, the 45" muskie was in the net and quickly released.

We were both excited as this was no slouch of a fish, but a dandy indeed. However, we knew any cast could bring another fish so it was back to the races. Hedrik soon had another fish following his bucktail, going round and round in the figure-8. Good sign the fish are moving! We loop back around and as I'm retrieving my topwater, Hedrik quietly says, "Fish." As I turn around to see the fish inches behind the bait I KNEW the fish would eat at Hedrik's feet, the figure 8 just had to be executed perfectly...

Hedrik went left, fish was still there, Hedrik came up and created the first turn of the 8, fish still there, Hedrik went back down the straight-away, still there, and up the outside turn... CHOMP. It felt like time stood still as the fish opened its yap and slammed it shut on Hedrik's bucktail, pausing momentarily to give Hedrik just enough time to adjust his grip and set the hook. The big fish wallowed and thrashed, made a small circle, and swam gently into the net. We both let out victory screams. Both of us knew it was big, and pushing that magical number, but neither knew for certain. Hedrik slid the fish out of the net and the official verdict came in... 50 inches on the button!


I think I was happier and more excited than Hedrik was. I was on cloud 9. It couldn't have played out any better, and could not have happened to a more deserving person. Hedrik, the muskie gods were smiling down on you, my friend. And they will continue to on Wednesday, that you can take solace in.

Hopefully we didn't spend all our luck for 2010. Still lots more fishing to do, and lots more data to collect. As always, keep it here folks. After going a bit stagnant over the last few months, I promise to have more and exciting stories posted as they arise.

Here's to a great 2010 muskie season, wherever you may find yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't ask for a better first day. WTG guys and congrats on a fine looking fish....nice big head!!

    The season starts with a bang!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent story!

    - Josh K

    ReplyDelete